January 10, 2018

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

MLK Presentation Jan. 25 (NEW)

The 15th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Presentation will be delivered by Dr. Pearl Dowe, associate professor and chair of the Department of Political Science at the University of Arkansas. The talk, titled “The Revolution was Televised: The Transformational Leadership of LBJ and MLK,” will examine the transformative way in which President Lyndon B. Johnson slowly rebranded the Democratic Party and consequently changed the dynamic of the relationship of the State and its citizens, while Dr. Martin Luther King Junior’s moral leadership often overshadows his radical understanding of the role of government and democracy in ensuring equality.

It is free and open to the public, and will take place on Thursday, Jan. 25, at noon in the Becky Paneitz Student Center room 108. The event is co-sponsored by the Department of Social Sciences, the Honors Program, and the Student Ambassador and Government Association.

Fitness Center Enrollment (NEW)

Tackle your New Year’s fitness resolution with a Free Fitness Center Enrollment Plan For NWACC Faculty & Staff during the 2018 Spring Semester.

***New members of the NWACC Fitness Center  need to follow these few simple steps***

Step 1.) Fill out the attached employee waiver fee application form. Forms are also available in the Fitness Center.

Step 2.) Take the completed waiver forms to the Fitness Center (BH 1458) and return to a supervisor.

NOTE: Fitness center supervisors are NOT personal trainers,  but can give you an insight on how to properly use the equipment. Remember we do have showers and locker space for use; but please remove your locks on a daily basis. Please keep the NWACC Fitness Center in an organized matter so all can enjoy!

Student Memberships: $75 (1 Yr. /Best Value)    $39 (Spring Semester)     $39 (Fall Semester)    $25 (Summer Semester)

Fitness Center Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. & Friday 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.

*NWACC Fitness Center: 936-5136

Welcome Back for Students

NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association welcomes students back to campus with free snacks, beverages, and giveaways.

Come out and meet your NWACC Student Ambassadors and Senators. January 17 and 18, from 10 a.m to 1 p.m. in the Becky Paneitz Student Center Lobby. For more information contact Becky Hudson at rhudson1@nwacc.edu.

Find The Student Club for You (NEW)

The NWACC Spring Club Fair will be held on January 23 and 24, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Becky Paneitz Student Center Lobby. There will be free snacks and giveaways. Come out and talk to NWACC student club members and find the club that is right for you. For more information, contact Becky Hudson at rhudson1@nwacc.edu.

NWACC Eagle View Sets Spring Boot Camp

The Spring Eagle View Boot Camp is planned for 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 27 in the newsroom, room 1459 in Burns Hall. Learn what it takes to be on the student newspaper staff.

Available positions include reporters, photographers, designers, copy editors, advertising sales representatives, and social media coordinators. Food will be provided.

Those interested may email their RSVP to eagleview@nwacc.edu or call the office at 479-986-4016 by Jan. 24.

Work Study Position-Office of Student Success 

The Office of Student Success is looking for a work study! The position is up to 15 hours per week.

Job duties include checking students in for appointments and tutoring, directing students to the appropriate office, and assisting with outreach communication.

Applicants must be current NWACC students who are eligible for financial aid. Interested students should email their resume and NWACC student ID # to dschader@nwacc.edu.

Study Abroad – Summer 2018

Study Abroad – Summer 2018 is just around the corner. Don’t get left out!

Applications being accepted now for trips to the following locations: * Greece * Germany * Thailand * Haiti * Italy

For questions, email StudyAbroad@nwacc.edu.

A related flier is attached. For more information, visit https://www.nwacc.edu/web/studyabroad/

Musical Performance Opportunity 

The Ozark Mountains British Brass Band is collaborating with NWACC Music to provide ensemble credit to NWACC students.

Ensemble credit is required for the AFA degree with music emphasis, and the band is providing NWACC students the opportunity to that credit with the group.

If you are a brass player or percussionist who is looking for a performing outlet or needing ensemble credit, please open the attached flier.

African American History Course Offered 

African American History will be offered as an elective course in the spring semester. Dr. Gene Vinzant is the instructor, and the CRN 22458.

A related flier is attached.

Student Services Friday Hours in January 

Beginning this week, our service hours to students will be Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

We will resume our normal Friday hours of 8 a.m.-12 p.m. on Friday, February 2nd.

NWACC Chamber Orchestra 

The NWACC Chamber String Orchestra will begin rehearsals for the Spring Semester on Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018, at 4:30 p.m. in Burns Hall 2105. Ensemble is composed of students and community citizens.

Credit is available if you wish to enroll. A limited number of scholarships are available to both music majors and non-majors. No audition necessary, but please call C. Myron Flippin for consulting if you have any questions.

Spring 2018 Celebrate Learning (TODAY)

You are invited to attend Spring 2018 Celebrate Learning! It will be held on Tuesday morning, January 9th from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon and continue Wednesday afternoon, January 10th from 12:30 p.m. until 4:45 p.m.

Celebrate Learning is a professional development event designed for all full- and part-time faculty; however, staff are welcome to attend with prior approval from their supervisor. Please open the attached schedule for more info on the Spring 2018 Celebrate Learning event.

Work-Study Needed! Student Information Center 

The Student Information Center is seeking a dependable work study. The position is open for up to 19 hours per week. A related flier is attached.

Applicants must be current NWACC students who are eligible for financial aid. Interested parties should email their resume and NWACC student ID to rhudson1@nwacc.edu.

Jeans Week for Domestic & Sexual Violence 

This week, January 8-12th, will be our monthly Jeans Week for Domestic and Sexual Violence Awareness.  You are invited to wear jeans for a minimum donation of $10.

All money collected will be divided between the NWA Women’s Shelter and the NWA Center for Sexual Assault.  We have raised over $2,750 since 2016 – let’s keep up the good work.

Please take donations to Jamie Schraeder, Student Center SC 225 I.  If you are in a position that already allows you to wear jeans, you may still make a donation if you would like.

Also, please use your discretion during Jeans Week when meeting with off-campus individuals or groups.

Music and Poetry Students Meet Jan. 28

JANURARY 28th at 1:00, the NWA Music and Poetry Students (MAPS) will meet in Burns Building,  The Music Department Room #2105. 

The Baroque Period will be explored with demonstrations of style and performance technique.  All are invited.

Those wanting to contribute music or poetry may contact ggrilk@nwacc.edu for being placed on the schedule of music and poetry offerings.  Beginning students are especially encouraged to attend.

Admission Applications

Application for admission submissions will be processed within 3 – 4 business days after our return today (January 2, 2018).

Master Naturalists to Offer Annual Training

Master Naturalist training starts in January 2018 with classes in Benton County, Washington County and Marion County.

Training covers a wide range of ecological topics specific to the Ozarks region. Forty hours of training are required to become a Master Naturalist.

Master Naturalists support a wide variety of conservation efforts throughout the area through volunteerism and in partnership with a number of environmental agencies and organizations. Contact Christie Waggoner at christie@trw1.net for additional information.

Recruiting Volleyball Players 

The NWACC Sports Club Department will be Sponsoring an Adult Coed Volleyball Team.

Matches will be played at the Rogers Activity Center starting Jan. 23, 2018

Cost only: $20 per student

~Let me know if you are interested in playing as well as help recruit talented players!

Go Eagles!

John F. Luedtke

NorthWest Arkansas Community College
Director of Health, Physical Ed., Fitness Center & Sports Club
Burns Hall (West Wing) Office # 1432
1.479.619.4138 – 1.800.995.6922
Email: jluedtke@nwacc.edu

http://www.nwacc.edu/web/academics_wellness/Intramurals.php

Barnes & Noble Extended After Winter Break Hours

Barnes & Noble Extended After Christmas Hours

• Jan. 8-13, 2018, Bookstore Monday-Friday: 8-4:30 Saturday: 10-2 RechargeU Monday-Thursday: 8-4:30 Friday: 8-2
  • Jan. 15-19, 2018, Bookstore Monday 10-2, Tuesday-Thursday 8-6, Friday 8-2 RechargeU Tuesday-Thursday: 8-6 Friday: 8-2
  • Jan 22, 2018– Resume normal business hours for both stores Bookstore Monday-Thursday 8-4:30 Friday: 8-2 RechargeU Monday-Thursday 8-6 Friday: 8-2

Thank you,

Barnes & Noble

Subject Code Change for Medical Terminology and Electronic Health Records Classes

Intro to Medical Terminology, Medical Terminology for Health Sciences, and Electronic Health Records have had subject code changes effective Spring 2018.

They are now under the following course numbers on the spring schedule of classes:

• Intro to Medical Terminology HIM 1001
  • Medical Terminology for Health Sciences HIM 1403
  • Electronic Health Records HIM 1123

PTA Application

The Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA)application is currently available through March 1, 2018. The application can be found at: https://www.nwacc.edu/web/academics_healthProfessions/applications

Applicants will need their NWACC username and password to submit the application. For questions concerning PTA or submitting the application please contact Healthprofessions@nwacc.edu

NWACC in ITALY

Please help remind students that “NWACC in Italy” is now taking applications for Summer 2018.

Live and study for a month in Tuscany and receive 6 hours of NWACC college credit. It’s one of the best and best priced educational study abroad programs of its kind.

Scholarships are available.

Visit the website www.NWACCinITALY.com for more info or contact Jeremy Youmans, Victor Chalfant, Chris Huggard, or Miles Fish.

Work-Study Needed! Dean of Students Office

NWACC’s Dean of Students Office is seeking a dependable work study to assist the Counseling and Wellness Center. The position is open for up to 19 hours per week. Applicants must be current NWACC students who are eligible for financial aid. Interested parties should email their resume and NWACC student ID to jschraeder@nwacc.edu

A related flier is attached.

Washington County Work-Study Positions Available

NWACC’s Washington County Center is seeking work-study students.

The positions will be for 15-19 hours per week. Job postings and full descriptions are located at https://www.nwacc.edu/web/lss_fa/work_study_opportunities (please scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Washington County Center positions listed). Applicants must be current NWACC students who are eligible for financial aid.

Interested parties should email their name and NWACC student ID to bgoodman@nwacc.edu or call 479-927-3330 for inquiries.

Did You Know? Personal Counseling Is Free to Students

NWACC offers personal and career counseling to students through our new Counseling & Wellness Center.

Counseling is free for students and available on the main campus Monday-Friday. To schedule an appointment, contact counseling@nwacc.edu, (479) 619-4128 or visit us on the 2nd Floor of the Becky Paneitz Student Center.

Mental Health Screening

Mental health is a key part of your overall health. Brief screenings are the quickest way to determine if you or someone you care about should connect with a mental health professional – it’s a checkup from your neck up. To take a screening, OPEN THIS LINK or go to NWACC/Campus and Community Resources. Screenings do not provide a diagnosis of any medical condition. The information provided by the screenings do not substitute for a full evaluation by a health professional.

NWACC in the News 

Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette: College makes merry

KNWA: Central EMS takes steps to keep paramedics (NWACC paramedic program)

Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette: Central EMS boosts pay, training

Arkansas Business: Movers & Shakers (4th item — Daniel Yeager awards)