April 19, 2018

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

Campus Violence Prevention and Response Training May 1 and May 2 (NEW)

NWACC’s Department of Public Safety and Department of Institutional Policy, Risk Management & Compliance are excited to welcome the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM) to our campus on May 1 & 2.

Six training sessions are planned, and sessions will be in room 108 of the Becky Paneitz Student Center, at Brightwater, and at the Washington County Center.

All faculty and staff are welcome. They may choose the time that works best for their schedule. Advance registration is not required.

The attached Word flier and the attached pdf flier contain schedule details.

Latin X Theatre Project Performs Scratch That! Tonight at NWACCC

Scratch That!, a new production devised and performed by the LatinX Theatre Project, will be performed tonight (April 19) at 7:30  in White Auditorium at NorthWest Arkansas Community College, in advance of additional performances at other venues in the region through May 5.

Taking the tracks of a DJ’s performance as its model, Scratch That! explores issues of family unity and community identity when growth and gentrification change the face of towns and cities where LatinX folks have made their homes.  The 12 performers in Scratch That! take on several roles and build original poetry, music, and dance into a scintillating performance.

After tonight, Scratch That! will be performed at the University of Arkansas’ Global Campus as part of the Department of Theatre’s New Play Festival on April 21 at 9:30 p.m., at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art on April 22 at 2 p.m., at the Five and Dime Drama Collective in Eureka Springs on April 28 at 7:30 p.m. and April 29 at 2 p.m., and at the Arts Center of the Ozarks on May 4 at 7:30 p.m. and May 5 at 7:30 p.m.  Modest admission prices vary at each venue.  Performances at NWACC are free.  All performances are open to the public.

An Evening with Chef Bill Kim (NEW)

Join us at Brightwater April 30 for an evening of BBQ and Beer featuring Chef Bill Kim, Owner and Chef at bellyQ & Urbanbelly Chicago.

Tickets are $85, and includes dinner, beer by Bike Rack Brewing Co., and Chef Kim’s Cookbook, “Korean BBQ: Master Your Grill in Seven Sauces”. Award-winning Chef Bill Kim was born in Seoul, Korea and immigrated to the United States at age 7. His first formal kitchen duty – roasting sesame seeds and grinding them using a mortar and pestle for his mother’s kimchi recipe – sparked his interest in pursuing a culinary career.

A related event flier is attached.

Chef Kim’s expansive culinary background spans a wide range of varied cuisines. After studying classic French cooking at Kendall College, Chef Kim pursued opportunities to work alongside industry greats including Pierre Pollin at le Titi de Paris in Arlington Heights, IL and Jean Banchet at Ciboulette in Atlanta.

From there, Chef Kim served as sous chef at notable kitchens throughout the country including the renowned four-star Charlie Trotter’s in Chicago, Bouley Bakery in New York and Susanna Foo in Philadelphia. After several years on the East Coast, he was drawn back to Chicago to serve as chef de cuisine at Charlie Trotter’s before taking the helm of French-Asian Le Lan. Chef Kim is widely considered to be a pioneer in the movement of fine dining chefs introducing casual concepts. In 2008, he opened urbanbelly, a bustling communal-seating restaurant featuring creative and soul-satisfying noodle, dumpling and rice dishes.

One year later, Chef Kim paid tribute to his Korean heritage and his wife’s Puerto Rican background by opening Belly Shack, a confluence of Asian and Latin flavors in Chicago’s Logan Square neighborhood. In August 2012, Chef Kim opened bellyQ, a modern Asian barbecue concept on Chicago’s thriving Randolph Street. After five successful years operating urbanbelly in Avondale, Chef Kim expanded the menu and relocated the restaurant to reside alongside bellyQ in the West Loop (via chicagogourmet.org).

Dr. Mary Hubbard Retirement Reception

Please join us next Wednesday, April 25, from 3-4:30 p.m. as we thank Dr. Mary Hubbard for her many years of service to NWACC and congratulate her on her upcoming retirement.

Location: Burns Hall 1003, Writing Center.

A related reception flier is attached.

Plant A Seed Tickets Available

Come join us for this year’s Plant a Seed fundraiser hosted by the NorthWest Arkansas Community College Foundation. Guests this year will enjoy an exclusive sit-down dinner featuring chef-prepared culinary creations and fun creative libations at Brightwater: A Center for the Study of Food.

This year’s event begins at 7 p.m. April 27. The NWACC Foundation team has some fun and exciting things planned throughout the evening.

Seating is limited. Proceeds benefit scholarships and College initiatives. To ensure seating, you will want to purchase a ticket now. Visit nwacc.edu/plantaseed for ticket information.

As a limited seating event, should there be seats available the week of April 27th, discounted seats may be offered to faculty and staff on a first available option.

For additional information, call the NWACC Foundation at 479.619.4321, email foundation@nwacc.edu or visit us on the third floor of Burns Hall. We hope to see you there!

Student Regalia Now In Store

Are you graduating in May?

The Bookstore has all your regalia needs covered and items are in store NOW!

• Cap, gown, tassel set $36.94
  • Gown only $23.98
  • Tassel only $5.98
  • Cap only $6.98
  • Honor Cord $12.98
  • Invitations $20 for pack of 15

18-19 Federal Work-Study Request

To request a new Federal Work-Study position for 18-19, log into My NWACC Connection click EMPLOYEE click My Work scroll down to My Processes and click Request a Work-Study Position. NEW:

Supervisors who have current federal work-study positions filled have been notified and do not need to complete a request for 18-19.

DREAMers of NWACC Give Thanks With Pan Dulce

It has been an important and busy year for the DREAMers of NWACC Student Club.

Members and supporters advocated for undocumented students and their families by raising awareness, supporting and working with local activism organizations, calling elected officials, sharing stories, and volunteering in the community. We also had two big food sales where through the support of students, staff, and faculty, we were able raise almost $3,000 for our scholarship fund.

To show appreciation to our college community, we will be giving away yummy pan dulce (Mexican sweet bread) and hot chocolate on Monday, April 23, in the Information Commons area of Burns Hall and in the Student Center Center Lobby on Tuesday, April 24, from 10-12. Please stop by for a treat and so that we can say thanks in person!

Book Spine Poetry Contest 

To celebrate National Poetry Month, NWACC Library is announcing its annual Book Spine Poetry Contest.

To participate, assemble a poem from book spines, take a photo and send it to library@nwacc.edu or post on the Library Facebook Page.

Professor Curtis Harrell will serve as a judge and Starbucks Coffee gift cards will be awarded to top three contestants.

A related book spine poetry flier is attached.

Jazz Band Concert Slated April 28

The Department of Music at NorthWest Arkansas Community College will present the NWACC Jazz Band in concert at 2 p.m. April 28 in the Walmart Auditorium of the Shewmaker Center for Workforce Technologies in Bentonville.

The public is invited, and the event is free. For more information, contact S. Rene’ Garcia-Oliver at sgarciaoliver@nwacc.edu.

Ozark Mountains British Brass Band Concert Planned for May 6

The Ozark Mountains British Brass Band will present a free concert at 3 p.m. May 6. The concert will be in Walmart Auditorium of the Shewmaker Center for Workforce Technologies, 1000 S.E. Eagle Way in Bentonville.

The concert, titled “The Brass Machine,” will include music from jazz to pop to rock and will feature tunes from Disney, Queen, Michael Bublé and John Williams.

The band invites the northwest Arkansas community to attend. Concert admission is free, and this is a family friendly event. The concert is part of a partnership between NorthWest Arkansas Community College and the band where the ensemble has provided seats within the ensemble to brass and percussion students who need ensemble credit for their degree.

Additional information is available by emailing Jo Schwader at jschwade@nwacc.edu

A related concert flier is attached.

Summer Efficiencies Schedule Begins May 21 

The Summer Efficiencies Schedule begins May 21 with the College being open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, except for selected programs.

The College will return to its 5-day work week beginning August 6, 2018.

We hope this information will be helpful as you plan meetings, vacations, and other events.

Urgent! Scholarship Reviewers Needed

The 2018-19 Scholarship review is in progress and your help is needed.

If you have not signed up to review scholarships, you still can! Scholarships are so important to our students and to NWACC. Please join our review team and help us review and award our 2018-2019 NWACC Scholarships.

The review deadline is May 22, 2018. Please email Diane Hanna at mhanna1@nwacc.edu to sign up.

Brightwater Community Classes 

Brightwater: A Center for the Study of Food plans to offer several community classes, and you may want to check some of these offerings.

The schedule follows, and class description fliers are attached to the class listing.

Grant Procurement Sessions Offered 

Have you identified a student need that requires capital but your department budget will not begin to support it? Have you considered a grant to support it?

This workshop offered on April 25 gives an overview of NWACC’s grant submission process and what happens after the grant procurement?

You will learn about examples of common grant databases for utilization in your search for funding. Also to be discussed is what’s next to ensure that you are ready to submit a competitive application once one is appropriately identified.

A grants session flier is attached.

Are We Creating a Global Water Crisis? 

Join us for a screening of “Blue Gold: World Water Wars,” a documentary about the ecological and socio-political implications of the world’s dwindling water supply. The screening will be followed by a discussion facilitated by Angela DeNovi (the Regional Project Manager for Ozark Water Watch), Dr. Robert Morgan (an ecological engineer who recently retired as Manager of Environmental Quality at Beaver Water District), and Dr. Chris Huggard (environmental historian and NWACC Professor of History).

• WHEN: Tuesday, April 24, at 1:30 p.m.
  • WHERE: Student Center room 108

A related Blue Gold flier is attached.

Give Kudos to a Graduating Student in the NWACC Eagle View 

Celebrate your graduate by publishing a Congratulations ad in the May 2018/Graduation Keepsake edition of the NWACC Eagle View.

This issue is handed out at each NWACC graduation ceremony on May 12.

To submit your ad, email the Eagle View for the reservation form at eagleview@nwacc.edu or stop by the newsroom in room 1459 in Burns Hall to pick one up.

The completed ad form, which may include a photograph, should then be returned by April 18 to the Eagle View office or emailed back to Mattie Bailey at mwatson@nwacc.edu.

The special price for this 2×2 color advertisement is $30 and must be prepaid. For more information, contact Bailey at mwatson@nwacc.edu or 479-531-5340.

A related graduation ad flier is attached.

Restaurant Deals for NWACC Students, Faculty and Staff

A couple of local restaurants are offering deals for NWACC students, faculty and staff.

For the month of April, Smashburger will provide anyone with a valid NWACC ID a free drink and side item with the purchase of an entree. The offer for a free fountain drink is good on Monday and Tuesday in April.

Through April 23, you can show a valid NWACC ID and buy one, get one free at Chipotle in Bentonville.

Let’s Taco Bout Donating

The Community Blood Center of the Ozarks will be collecting life-saving blood on April 26, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. in SC 108. To sign up and reserve your spot contact Becky Hudson at rhudson1@nwacc.edu. Reservations are not necessary but will save the time you request. Every donor will receive a free Let’s Taco Bout Donating T-shirt.

Sexual Assault Awareness Month Display at the Library 

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. One in five college students will experience sexual or dating violence before graduation.

NWACC Library has created a list of books and movies that shed light on this serious problem. They are displayed at the front of the library and are available for checkout.

Use this link to access the titles in the library catalog. http://catalog.nwacc.edu/cgi-bin/koha/opac-shelves.pl?op=view&shelfnumber=10

Urgent! Scholarship Reviewers Needed

Run for Good: NWACC at the LPGA!

Lace up your shoes, put together a rocking playlist and join Team NWACC in participating in the Corporate Challenge at the 5k @ the LPGA event on June 23 at the Walmart AMP!

The event includes a 1k (0.62 miles) and 5k (3.1 miles) course where participants can run, walk, and/or run/walk the distance. Registration cost is $20 until June 16. Participants receive a ticket to the LPGA tournament, performance race shirt, race medal, breakfast and more!

The Corporate Challenge awards offices for Fastest Office, Fittest Office, and Most Spirited Office.

Register to participate or come out and support NWACC as they compete for these awards. It is perfectly fine and acceptable to walk the entire course. Go at your pace! A related flyer is attached —  LPGA poster.

For more information on the event or for running or race guidance, please contact Kate Sosna ksosna@nwacc.edu or Jason Degn jdegn@nwacc.edu. To register for the event, please open the following link: http://www.nwachampionship.com/5k-at-the-lpga/. select NWACC from the Corporate Challenge Team drop-down under Additional Information during registration.

Brightwater Partners With Cooperative

Brightwater’s newest partner in local food systems is New South Cooperative.

Starting Wednesday, May 2nd, Brightwater will be a pick-up site for New South’s CSA boxes.

Spring Book Club 

Join us to read and discuss any of our monthly titles! See http://nwaccbookclub.blogspot.com/ for books and meeting times. Sabrina Chesne at schesne@nwacc. edu has more information and books to loan.

FOOD PANTRY

NWACC Food Pantry Spring Distribution Schedule Announced 

NWACC’s Food Pantry provides help to NWACC students, faculty and staff throughout the year.

Food will be distributed on every other Wednesday and Thursday, beginning January 24, 2018. A three-day supply of food is given.

Applications for assistance can be picked up at the Student Information Center in the Becky Paneitz Student Center or at the Office of Student Life in room 225 H in the Becky Paneitz Student Center.

All persons requesting assistance must have an initial application on file. They will then be required to complete a distribution request form each time they request assistance.

Distribution Request forms must be turned in at the Office of Student Life no later than 3:30 p.m. on the Monday before distribution.

In emergency cases, food may be distributed outside of normal distribution times.

Please contact Becky Hudson, Director of Student Life at rhudson1@nwacc.edu or 479-986-6682 for more information about the Pantry.

• Distribution Date: April 25, 26 — Request forms submitted by April 23
  • Distribution Date: May 9, 10 — Request forms submitted by May 7

STUDENT NOTES

Need Tutoring?

This time of year can be stressful and challenging for students. Just remember, FREE tutoring is available now through FINALS.

Don’t wait, don’t procrastinate-come by and see us NOW! For information on scheduling, locations, etc., please visit us online at: https://www.nwacc.edu/web/tutoring-center/tutor-schedule.

Internship Opportunity at Pea Ridge National Military Park

The Pea Ridge National Military Park is interested in recruiting students from NWACC to serve as interns at the park this summer of 2018.

If you are interested or know of a student who may be interested, examine the attached flyer for more details.

Ranger David Harkleroad will be doing a presentation in April (date and time to be determined based on student interest) on this opportunity.

If you are interested, contact Dr. Chris Huggard, chuggard@nwacc.edu or 479-619-4270.

Students Should Schedule Testing Center Appointments

Please encourage students to schedule testing center appointments now.

As the semester comes to an end, the Testing Center will be filling with students and appointment times will become harder to find. It is advisable for students who need to test in the center schedule all remaining appointments at this time, especially for Finals Week.  Same day appointments cannot be guaranteed.

Students without appointments will have to go on a Standby List and wait for an opening.

Student Government Public Forum

The NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association would like to invite the student body to attend SAGA’s public forums where students can express their opinions, voice concerns and ideas, and learn about happenings on campus.

Meetings will take place in the Burns Hall 3rd floor board room (unless otherwise noted) at 9:00 a.m. on the following dates:

• April 27
  • For more information stop by the SAGA office —Burns Hall 1215 or contact a SAGA member at SAGA@nwacc.edu.

STUDENT TRANSFER INFORMATION

Apply by May 15th for the Henderson State $6,000 Transfer Scholarship

Are you interested in or intending to transfer to Henderson State University (HSU) in Arkadelphia for Fall 2018?

Will you have earned an Associate’s Degree with 60 or more transferable hours when you graduate this spring? If so, you are eligible to apply for the Presidential Transfer Scholarship now! This scholarship pays $6,000 a year to one NWACC student.

Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Completion of at least an Associate’s Degree and minimum of 60 transferrable credit hours at time of transfer (no more than 15 hours at another university). Continued eligibility is dependent on minimum completion of 15 hours per semester minimum completion of 30 hours per year to renew for consecutive semesters and maintaining a cumulative 3.0 GPA at the end of each academic year.

Application Instructions:

1. To apply, email TransferPathways@nwacc.edu . a. In the body of the email, please include your name, NWACC student ID, phone number, NWACC email address, intended major at Henderson State University, and a brief summary of your future career plans.
  2. If you have further questions or need assistance, please contact Ashley Byrd, Associate Director of Transfer Services, at the email address above. A related HSU Word document is attached.

Apply by April 27 for the ATU $6,000 Transfer Scholarship

Are you intending to transfer to Arkansas Tech University (ATU) for Fall 2018? Apply for the Presidential Transfer Scholarship now!

This scholarship is available for both fall and spring, but this application period is currently available for those who plan to transfer from NWACC in Fall 2018 only. This scholarship pays $3,000 a semester and is renewable for up to 5 semesters or completion of an undergraduate degree, whichever comes first.

Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must have a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA must have completed 12 or more credit hours must be intending to transfer to Arkansas Tech University for the Fal l2018 semester must complete the application/essay by Friday, April 27.

Application Instructions:

1. Write an essay following the prompt below (600 words or less). Please save your essay as a Word document and do not forget to include your name in your essay, either as the header of the essay or in the body of the essay.
  2. Email your essay to TransferPathways@nwacc.edu . a. In the body of the email, please include your name, NWACC student ID, phone number, NWACC email address, intended major, and a brief summary of your future career plans. b. Attach your essay as a Word document to the email.
  3. If you have further questions or need assistance, please contact Ashley Byrd, Associate Director of Transfer Services, at the email address TransferPathways@nwacc.edu.

Essay Prompt (600 words or less): Think of experiences throughout your life that have led to your current academic pursuits. Are there certain people who have been influential in your life, or are there experiences that inspired you to choose your current path? Are there people or events that shaped your vision of what you hope to achieve? Tell the committee about these influences. Finally, address how you wish to utilize your academic pursuits to contribute to society.

Attached is a related scholarship document.

UCA Bound This Fall? Get Advised NOW!

Don’t miss this special opportunity for students who are heading to “Bear County” this fall: University of Central Arkansas adviser Geoff Thiers will be on our campus this spring to advise transferring students for their first fall semester at UCA.

Starting in April, students who meet with Mr. Thiers will also be able to register for their fall UCA classes without ever leaving our NWACC campus. For more information, please open the attached flyer. If you would like to schedule an appointment with UCA adviser Geoff Thiers in our Academic Advising Center (2nd floor SC), visit https://appoint.ly/s/UCATRANSFER/NWACCSP18 . Please note that appointments cannot be made more than 3 weeks in advance. And don’t forget to sign up for a free UCA account here (gopurple.uca.edu) to receive updates as you plan your transfer. Are you interested in learning more about UCA before you schedule an appointment? Unsure about where and when you want to transfer? Our college has over 60 different 2+2 agreements with UCA that will allow you to complete an Associate’s Degree with us before you transfer to UCA. If you are planning to transfer to UCA later or would like more information on the university and its opportunities, you can find out more here (http://uca.edu/2plus2/nwacc/2017-2018/ ). Please contact transferpathways@nwacc.edu for more information if you do not see your major listed under these agreements but plan to attend UCA.

Transfer Visits

Representatives from area colleges and universities frequently visit NWACC to speak to transfer students about their future academic goals.

This semester, these institutions typically will be in either the Student Center lobby (SC) or outside the Information Commons in Burns Hall (BH), except for special events or visits to the Washington County Center.

Please consult the list below when helping students make plans to visit with college/university recruiters.

• Tuesday, April 24, University of Arkansas, 9 a.m.-noon, BH
  • Wednesday, April 25, Grand Canyon University, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., BH
  • Thursday, April 26, Arkansas Tech University, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., SC Lobby
  • Monday, April 30, Rogers State University, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., SC Lobby
  • Monday, April 30, Northeastern State University, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., TBD
  • Wednesday, May 2, Harding-Searcy AND Harding-NWA Degree Completion in Education, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., SC Lobby
  • Wednesday, May 2, University of Arkansas-Little Rock, 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m., SC Lobby
  • Monday, May 7, Missouri Southern State University, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., SC Lobby
  • Tuesday, May 8, University of Arkansas, 9 a.m.-noon, BH

MATH HELP FOR STUDENTS

Quadratic Equations and Functions

Quadratic Equations and Functions – a Math Center workshop for Intermediate Algebra (and other) students will be offered:

• Wednesday, April 25, 4:15-5:15 pm in SC 343.

A related quadratic equations flier is attached.

Exponent Laws Workshop 

Exponent Laws – A Math Center Workshop for Beginning Algebra (and other) students will be offered:

• Tuesday, April 24, 3:00-4:00 p.m. in SC 338.

A related Exponent Laws workshop flier is attached.

Radical Operations and Equations (FRIDAY)

Radical Operations and Equations – a Math Center Workshop for Intermediate Algebra (and other) students will be offered:

• Friday, April 20, 1:30-2:30 p.m. in SC 338.

A related Radical Operations and Equations workshop flier is attached.

Math Center Hours for Spring 2018 

• Mondays: 8 a.m. – 7:40 p.m.
  • Tuesdays: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. & 5 – 8 p.m.
  • Wednesdays: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Thursdays: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. & 5 – 8 p.m.
  • Fridays: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • Saturdays: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.

For a more detailed schedule with tutors’ names and what they tutor, please open the attached flyer.

HEALTH PROFESSIONS

Nursing Track I Applications Now Open

The Nursing Track I (traditional) application is now open through May 1.

This will be for Fall 2018 admittance and if accepted students will be graduating spring 2020. The application can be found at: https://www.nwacc.edu/web/academics_healthProfessions/applications Applicants will need their NWACC username and password to access the application. If you have questions or trouble submitting the application pleas contact HealthProfessions@nwacc.edu

Dental Assisting Program Applications

The Dental Assisting Program applications will be available beginning April 1 on the Dental Assisting Program page of the NWACC website: https://www.nwacc.edu/web/programs_dental_assisting/

Applications will be accepted through mid-August. Interviews are scheduled on a first-to-apply, first-to-interview process. Interviews will begin mid-April. Once the roster is filled, applicants’ names will be placed on a waiting list for changes to the roster. For any questions or problems applying, please contact Darcy Humphries at dhumphries@nwacc.edu or Glenda Lee at glee1@nwacc.edu .

Health Information Management Application Now Open

The Health Information Management (HIM) application can be found at: https://www.nwacc.edu/web/academics_healthProfessions/applications Students must have a NWACC username and password in order to apply.

To submit an application, click on the “Health Professions Applications” button, enter your NWACC username and password, select the Program you want to apply to, answer the questions on the page, and submit. You will then be redirected back to the Health Professions Program Applications page, on that page next to Health Information Management, there is a document you can open, it has information about the Health Information Management program eligibility requirements and selection criteria, be sure and read this page, there are additional requirements that need to be done to complete your application. (you do not have to submit an application to see this page).

For questions about the HIM program or if you have trouble submitting the application, please email HealthProfessions@nwacc.edu

SERVICES

Did You Know? Personal Counseling Is Free to Students

NWACC offers personal and career counseling to students through our new Counseling & Wellness Center.

Counseling is free for students and available on the main campus Monday-Friday. To schedule an appointment, contact counseling@nwacc.edu, (479) 619-4128 or visit us on the 2nd Floor of the Becky Paneitz Student Center.

Mental Health Screening

Mental health is a key part of your overall health. Brief screenings are the quickest way to determine if you or someone you care about should connect with a mental health professional – it’s a checkup from your neck up. To take a screening, OPEN THIS LINK or go to NWACC/Campus and Community Resources. Screenings do not provide a diagnosis of any medical condition. The information provided by the screenings do not substitute for a full evaluation by a health professional.

NWACC IN THE NEWS 

Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette: 2 items (Bentonville Ignite/Brightwater and wins by Eagle View staff

KNWA (NBC Affiliate): Students Make Burgers for Scholarships

Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette: NWACC’s Washington County groundbreaking planned for June

Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (What’s Up!): LatinX Theatre Project Communicates, Educates, Inspires