August 2, 2018

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

Tax-Free Holiday at Bookstore (NEW)

The annual Arkansas Tax-Free Holiday is this weekend! Your NWACC Bookstore will be open from 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. on Saturday!!!

Come shop with us and enjoy no tax on textbooks, school supplies, NWACC clothing, and more! For those paying with financial aid, submit an online order during the tax-free time frame and the tax-free holiday will be honored when we process your order! Financial aid CANNOT be used in store that day. We look forward to seeing you!

The Once and Future Dream: A Roundtable on Free Speech 

A roundtable discussion is planned at NWACC on Sept. 18 in observance of Constitution Day. The context and some of the questions to be addressed are presented below, along with a listing of the participants.

The mass shooting at a Maryland newspaper, the increasingly profitable balkanization of the news media, the refusal of service at restaurants for political ideology, the campaigns to fire professors and other workers for expressing political views outside the workplace, the Supreme Court’s construction of corporations as people, and the violence in Charlottesville and Sacramento compel us to ask several questions about the possibility of free speech in the 21st century.

What is free speech: a negative liberty, a positive freedom, a prudent discernment, or a petty farce enacted cruelly on a docile public? Is there a gap between the promise and reality of free speech? How is free speech enabled by: constitutional law, state laws, federal laws, political ideology, religiosity, charity and literacy of citizens, and secularism? How is free speech balanced against equality, national security, privacy, and public safety? How should free speech confront public safety, hecklers, anti-platformism, doxing, hate speech, civility, and professionalism? How does the First Amendment protect expression in schools, colleges, public places, workplaces, electoral politics, and public deliberations? Does the liberty of free speech favor some identities and points of view over others? What do the civil rights movements, and other social movements, teach us about the limits and possibilities of free speech? This roundtable on free speech will address these questions, and those from the audience, in a civil, historically informed, philosophically inflected, and self-reflective way — in commemoration of Constitution Day.

MODERATOR: Dr. Matt Evans, Professor of Political Science at Northwest Arkansas Community College

ROUNDTABLE MEMBERS:

• Renato Betim: NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association president, and Senior Reporter for Eagle View NWACC student newspaper
  • Raven Cook: museum educator, and founder of Foundations: Black History Educational Programming
  • Walter Hinojosa: NWACC political science faculty, and President of the Northwest Arkansas Joint Labor Council
  • Dr. V. Jo Hsu: Assistant Professor of English at the University of Arkansas
  • Jerry Rose: Professor and Coordinator of Criminal Justice at NWACC, and former Fayetteville prosecutor
  • Dr. Stephen Smith: independent scholar at Oxbridge Research Associates, and retired Professor of Communications at the University of Arkansas

WHEN: Tuesday, Sept. 18, 12 Noon

WHERE: Walmart Auditorium, Shewmaker Center for Workforce Technologies

NWACC SPONSORS: Student Ambassador and Government Association, Department of Social Sciences, Honors Program, Omni Center

D and G Roofing Will Be Working On Campus 

D and G Roofing will be on campus 8/6/2018 until 8/16/2018. The roofers will be working on Burns Hall, the Becky Paneitz Student Center, the Center for Health Professions, Shewmaker Center for Global Business Development and then finally the National Child Protection Training Center.

Fall 2018 Celebrate Learning Scheduled

Scheduled Tuesday morning, August 14, and Wednesday afternoon, August 15, Celebrate Learning is a faculty-led in-service where faculty present workshops for their colleagues on topics that model best practices in learning-centered education.

Although full-time faculty are required to attend, part-time faculty are welcomed and encouraged to attend.

Designed as a mini-conference with multiple sessions offered in each time slot, faculty may choose which session would best fit their development needs. In addition, this event is a vehicle for faculty who have been awarded faculty development funds to share what they learned helping keep all faculty current.

Staff are welcomed to attend with prior approval from their supervisors. Open the attached schedule for detailed information.

Staff Council Nominations

It is time to make nominations to fill empty seats on Staff Council!

NorthWest Arkansas Community College Staff Council is an elected official body that represents all staff employees and actively participates in campus governance.

Staff Council holds seats on several college wide committees. Officers will represent Staff Council at these meetings as needed. Staff Council Officers serve two-year terms and officers can expect to dedicate at least one hour of time per week to Staff Council duties.

You may nominate any staff member, including yourself, who meets the following qualifications. Nominees must be full-time employees with at least one year of employment with NWACC.

Part-time employees may make nominations and vote in the election, but are not eligible to serve as Staff Council Officers. You may make multiple nominations. Nominations will be accepted through August 2 and voting for officers will begin on August 13 and go through August 24. Use the following link to make your nominations: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WZW28HR

If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Bachelor mbachelor@nwacc.edu or Allan Benson abenson5@nwacc.edu.

Smashburger: College Deal

All students and faculty for the month of August receive a free entree with the purchase of an entree at Smashburger in Bentonville. Customers must have attached coupon, or valid school ID.

Parking Garage Closed Aug. 3

The parking garage will be closed Friday, August 3, for cleaning the first floor and second floor ramp.

Math Center Availability between End of Summer II and Start of Fall Semester

Although SC 344A will be open, there will be no tutors on duty in the Math Center from Friday, August 3, through Sunday, August 19.

The tutors will be back on duty starting Monday, August 20.

$5 Scholarship Fundraiser for LIFE and DREAMERS of NWACC

The LIFE Program and the DREAMERS of NWACC are selling tickets to the August 25 Belk Charity Sale to raise scholarship funds.

This is how it works: Purchase a ticket for $5. Go to the sale with your ticket on August 25. Shop the sale, where items will be discounted from 25%-70%. Get $5 off your first purchase (so you’ve already got your money back!). LIFE and DREAMERS keep all of the funds from ticket sales! Tickets can be used at any Belk store. It’s a WIN-WIN!

If you plan on shopping with a friend or family member, they will also need a ticket. Thank you for your continued support, and please spread the word!

Please see Juanita Franklin for your ticket. You can find Juanita in the Becky Paneitz Student Center #223, email at jfranklin1@nwacc.edu, or call 619-2204.

If you are off-campus, delivery can be arranged. If you would like to help us sell tickets, packets of 20 can be checked out to you.

A related fundraiser flier is attached.

2018 – 19 NWACC Fitness Center Student, Faculty & Staff Membership Plans

“The Difference Between TRY and TRIUMPH, Is a Little UMPH.”

The fitness center is announcing its membership plans for 2018-19.

***1 Year Membership: $50.00 – Best Value!***

~Fall Semester Membership: $30   ~Spring Semester: $30     ~Summer Membership: $20

Note: Financial Aid can be applied for student membership fees

*Smith Machine –  *Free Weights  – *Machine Weights –  *Kettle Balls  –  *Aerobics Machines –  *Showers and Locker Facilities

Hours: Monday – Thursday 9 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. & Friday 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

To join the NWACC Fitness Center, feel free stop by the NWACC Fitness Center Burns Hall Room 2053

Call: 939-5136 or 619-4138

jluedtke@nwacc.edu

Parking Garage Maintenance & Closing

Certain floors of the parking garage are closed for maintenance.

The 3rd thru 5th floors will remain closed until August 2.

Math Center Hours for July 2 – August 2

Between July 2 and August 2, free math tutoring will be available in the Math Center (SC 344A) from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday. In addition, free math tutoring will be available in the Library on Friday from 8 a.m. to noon.

Please open the attached Math Center Summer II Schedule for further details.

NWACC Food Pantry in Need of Donations

Thanks to all the wonderful NWACC employees, students, and supporters, the NWACC Food Pantry has been operated solely on a donation basis.

In the 2.5 years we have been open we have never had to purchase food and have served more than 500 students, employees, and their families. We are once again looking to our NWACC family for donations. The pantry currently needs the following items:

• Canned fruit
  • Gluten-free items
  • Meals in a can such as Chef Boyardee ravioli and beef-a-roni
  • Canned meat such as Spam, chicken, and tuna
  • Individual serving size snacks such as pretzels, snack cakes, chips, etc.

We also have some dietary needs that require rice products.

We have also recently started stocking personal hygiene items such as shampoo and are in need of shampoo, conditioner, and men’s deodorant.

Donations may be taken to the Student Information Center in the Becky Paneitz Student Center or to Becky Hudson in SC 225 H. Monetary donations are also accepted. For more information contact Becky Hudson at rhudson1@nwacc.edu

SUMMER SCHEDULES

Summer Hours for the Testing Center

The Testing Center will have the following hours May 21 – August 4, 2018.

Monday and Tuesday     8:30 am – 6:30 pm

Wednesday and Thursday 8:30 am – 5:30 pm

Last placement test is started at 5:00 p.m. each day.  All NWACC tests (if allowed by instructor) have two hours past closing time to be completed.  Testing Center is closed on Fridays and Saturdays during the summer. If you have any questions about appointments, please email us at testingcenter@nwacc.edu.

Summer Efficiencies Schedule 

The Summer Efficiencies Schedule is underway with College being open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, except for selected programs.

The College will return to its 5-day work week beginning August 6, 2018.

We hope this information will be helpful as you plan meetings, vacations, and other events.

Student Services Summer Hours

Student Services will follow the same Summer Efficiency Schedule as the College.

Student service hours will be Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. and closed on Friday.

Happy summer!

WORK-STUDY OPPORTUNITIES

Tutoring Work-Study Position Available

A tutor position is available. Students must be Financial Aid eligible to apply. Up to 19 hours per week at $10/hour.

Open attached flier for details.

For more information or to submit your resume, contact Danielle Schader at dschader@nwacc.edu.

Testing Center Seeks to Fill Work-Study Position

The Testing Center is looking for an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position.

Please see the position posted on the NWACC Financial Aid Work-Study web page https://www.nwacc.edu/web/lss_fa/work_study_opportunities.

Math Department Work-Study Position Available

The Math Department is accepting applications for a work-study position.

All applicants must have a FAFSA on file and have remaining student aid eligibility.

The salary is $9 per hour and the maximum number of hours that can be worked is 15 per week. For more information, open the attached document (Math Work Study Position) or contact Tess O’Brien at tobrien@nwacc.edu.

Dean of Students/Student Life Work-Study Position Available

The Dean of Students/Student Life Office is looking for an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position.

To apply or for more information, contact Becky Hudson at rhudson1@nwacc.edu

Student Information Center Work-Study Position Available

The Student Information Center is looking for an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position.

A related work-study flier is attached.

Counseling & Wellness Center Work-Study Position Available

The Counseling & Wellness Center is looking for an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position. Please see the position posted on the NWACC Financial Aid Work-Study web page https://www.nwacc.edu/web/lss_fa/work_study_opportunities.

Washington County Work-Study Positions

We have three work study positions open in Washington County.

If you know an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position at the Washington County Center (WCC) in Springdale, please refer the student to Washington County positions posted on the NWACC Financial Aid work-study web page https://www.nwacc.edu/web/lss_fa/work_study_opportunities or in the College Central Network job postings for NWACC https://www.collegecentral.com/nwacc/, see Job ID 5521365, Job ID 5521384, Job ID 5529016).

HEALTH PROFESSIONS

Deadline Extended for Health Information Management

The Health Information Management (HIM) program has extended its application for fall admittance to August 10, 2018.

If you know of someone interested in applying or wanting more information, please suggest contacting Darcy Humphries at dhumphries@nwacc.edu in the Health Professions division. The application can be found at: https://www.nwacc.edu/web/academics_healthProfessions/applications

Nursing Information Sessions Requirement

The NWACC Nursing program will be requiring all applicants to have attended a Pre-Nursing Information Session within one year prior to applying to the program beginning with the Track I application taken spring 2019 for fall 2019 admittance.

Students who have not attended a session within the designated time will not be eligible for the Nursing program. Students must have on record that they have attended a session by the deadline of the application period they are applying to.

The current schedule for the summer/fall 2018 information sessions can be found at: https://www.nwacc.edu/web/programs_nursing/ please see the attached summer/fall 2018 schedule for dates and times. For further questions please email HPadvisor@nwacc.edu

A related information session flier is attached.

SERVICES

Did You Know? Personal Counseling Is Free to Students

NWACC offers personal and career counseling to students through our new Counseling & Wellness Center.

Counseling is free for students and available on the main campus Monday-Friday. To schedule an appointment, contact counseling@nwacc.edu, (479) 619-4128 or visit us on the 2nd Floor of the Becky Paneitz Student Center.

Mental Health Screening

Mental health is a key part of your overall health. Brief screenings are the quickest way to determine if you or someone you care about should connect with a mental health professional – it’s a checkup from your neck up. To take a screening, OPEN THIS LINK or go to NWACC/Campus and Community Resources. Screenings do not provide a diagnosis of any medical condition. The information provided by the screenings do not substitute for a full evaluation by a health professional.

NWACC IN THE NEWS 

Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette: (Opinion: An on-campus home?)

TIME magazine: Meet the 31 People Who Are Changing the South (Samuel Rivera Lopez with quotes from NWACC’s Ashley Edwards)