August 21, 2018

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

Transfer Visits (NEW)

The transfer visit schedule for Fall 2018 is now available at this link: Transfer Visits

Representatives from the University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) will also be on hand to meet and greet students, staff, and faculty on Tuesday, August 28 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Bogle Plaza. For a fun photo op, they are bringing the Razorbug, so be sure to have your cameras ready. Consult the attached flyer: UA Welcome Back

To discuss available ONLINE transfer opportunities, Arkansas Tech University will be on campus to meet with students throughout the semester. Dates can be found on this flyer.

Harvesting Opportunity, The Power of Regional Food System Investments to Transform Communities (NEW)

This event, hosted by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis and Brightwater will explore how communities use regional food strategies to advance their economic goals, including models for collaboration between policymakers, practitioners and the financial community. Participants will discuss research, policy and resource gaps that might contribute to the advancement and success of regional food system strategies. Regional and national experts will speak including John Fisk, Director, Wallace Center, Winrock International and Rashid Nuri, Founder and CEO, Truly Living Well. Registration is free and lunch will be served. This event will be held September 11, 2018 from 7:30 a.m to 3:00 p.m. at Brightwater. Please register in advance at http://www.cvent.com/d/pgqr5b/4W.

Money in American Politics: Film Screening and Facilitated Discussion (NEW)

Join us for a screening of the 2018 documentary Charlie vs. Goliath and a facilitated discussion on money in American politics on Thursday, October 11 at 6:00 p.m. in Peterson Auditorium. This event is sponsored by the NWACC Library, the NWACC Honors Program, the NWACC Department of Social Sciences, the NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association, and the Omni Center.

Welcome Back to NWACC

The NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association (SAGA) welcomes students back to NWACC on August 22 and 23, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Bogle Plaza.

Come out and meet area businesses and get free food, prizes, etc.

For more information contact Becky Hudson at rhudson1@nwacc.edu

SAGA Accepting Applications

Faculty and staff, please let students know that the NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association (SAGA) is taking applications.

SAGA members represent NWACC and NWACC students, plan a implement student activities, work with student clubs, and provide leadership for NWACC students. Applications may be found at this link, at the Student Information Center or at the Office of Student Life at SC 225 H. Deadline for application is August 30 at noon. For more information contact Becky Hudson at rhudson1@nwacc.edu.

Reserved Parking Spaces for Faculty and Staff

NO more circling the lot! Get your reserved parking spot!

It’s that time of year again – and we are kicking off another exciting fall semester. You know what that means? The parking lots will be busy!

If there are any employees still interested in purchasing a reserved parking space, we have some available. Reserved spaces can be purchased at the main Public Safety office located in the Center for Health Professions, 1042. There are reserved spaces available for the parking garage and all building locations on the Bentonville campus. Spaces are limited and selling out fast.

The cost for a reserved lot space is $245.00 annually for parking lots ($10.21/paycheck) or $275.00 annually ($11.46/paycheck) for a parking garage space. Payroll deduction is only available for full-time employees.

Part-time employees must pay in full at the Cashier’s Office (SC, 2nd floor) since they are paid on an irregular pay cycle.

Policy Library Searchable Database

Welcome back, everyone! To better serve you, the policy library has been moved to a searchable database located on the Policy page of NWACC website.

www.nwacc.edu/policy

Just click on the Policy Library button found at the bottom of the Policy page page. This new database is searchable by title, number, area, department and keyword. If you have policy-related questions, please contact Brenda Meyer, Director of Institutional Policy, at bmeyer@nwacc.edu.

Parking Hangtags Available

Parking hangtags for the 2018-19 year are available at security offices in Burns Hall and in the Center for Health Professions.

Please bring your ID and your old hangtag when requesting a new tag.

NWACC Chamber Winds Looking for Instrumentalists

Did you play a woodwind, brass, or percussion instrument in high school?

Is your band instrument currently collecting dust in your closet? Do you miss playing in an ensemble every time you see or hear a band playing? Miss it no more!

Sign up for Chamber Winds, MUSI 1481 TODAY! Open the attached flyer for more information.

The Once and Future Dream: A Roundtable on Free Speech

Please join us for a First Amendment roundtable discussion at NWACC on Sept. 18 at 12 noon in Walmart Auditorium in observance of Constitution Day. The roundtable will address the following questions:

• What is free speech: a negative liberty, a positive freedom, a prudent discernment, or a petty farce enacted cruelly on a docile public? Is there a gap between the promise and reality of free speech? How is free speech enabled by: constitutional law, state laws, federal laws, political ideology, religiosity, charity and literacy of citizens, and secularism?
  • How is free speech balanced against equality, national security, privacy, and public safety?
  • How should free speech confront public safety, hecklers, anti-platformism, doxing, hate speech, civility, and professionalism?
  • How does the First Amendment protect expression in schools, colleges, public places, workplaces, electoral politics, and public deliberations?
  • Does the liberty of free speech favor some identities and points of view over others? What do the civil rights movements, and other social movements, teach us about the limits and possibilities of free speech?

The roundtable will be moderated by Dr. Matt Evans, Professor of Political Science at NorthWest Arkansas Community College, and include the following people:

• Renato Betim: NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association president, and Senior Reporter for Eagle View NWACC student newspaper
  • Raven Cook: museum educator, and founder of Foundations: Black History Educational Programming
  • V. Jo Hsu: Assistant Professor of English at the University of Arkansas
  • Jerry Rose: Professor and Coordinator of Criminal Justice at NWACC, and former Fayetteville prosecutor
  • Stephen Smith: independent scholar at Oxbridge Research Associates, and retired Professor of Communication at the University of Arkansas

This event is sponsored by the NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association, the NWACC Department of Social Sciences, the NWACC Honors Program, and the Omni Center.

Smashburger: College Deal

All students and faculty for the month of August receive a free entree with the purchase of an entree at Smashburger in Bentonville. Customers must have attached coupon, or valid school ID.

$5 Scholarship Fundraiser for LIFE and DREAMERS of NWACC

The LIFE Program and the DREAMERS of NWACC are selling tickets to the August 25 Belk Charity Sale to raise scholarship funds.

This is how it works: Purchase a ticket for $5. Go to the sale with your ticket on August 25. Shop the sale, where items will be discounted from 25%-70%. Get $5 off your first purchase (so you’ve already got your money back!). LIFE and DREAMERS keep all of the funds from ticket sales! Tickets can be used at any Belk store. It’s a WIN-WIN!

If you plan on shopping with a friend or family member, they will also need a ticket. Thank you for your continued support, and please spread the word!

Please see Juanita Franklin for your ticket. You can find Juanita in the Becky Paneitz Student Center #223, email at jfranklin1@nwacc.edu, or call 619-2204.

If you are off-campus, delivery can be arranged. If you would like to help us sell tickets, packets of 20 can be checked out to you.

A related fundraiser flier is attached.

NWACC Food Pantry in Need of Donations

Thanks to all the wonderful NWACC employees, students, and supporters, the NWACC Food Pantry has been operated solely on a donation basis.

In the 2.5 years we have been open we have never had to purchase food and have served more than 500 students, employees, and their families. We are once again looking to our NWACC family for donations. The pantry currently needs the following items:

• Canned fruit
  • Gluten-free items
  • Meals in a can such as Chef Boyardee ravioli and beef-a-roni
  • Canned meat such as Spam, chicken, and tuna
  • Individual serving size snacks such as pretzels, snack cakes, chips, etc.

We also have some dietary needs that require rice products.

We have also recently started stocking personal hygiene items such as shampoo and are in need of shampoo, conditioner, and men’s deodorant.

Donations may be taken to the Student Information Center in the Becky Paneitz Student Center or to Becky Hudson in SC 225 H. Monetary donations are also accepted. For more information contact Becky Hudson at rhudson1@nwacc.edu

WORK-STUDY OPPORTUNITIES

Tutoring Work-Study Position Available

A tutor position is available. Students must be Financial Aid eligible to apply. Up to 19 hours per week at $10/hour.

Open attached flier for details.

For more information or to submit your resume, contact Danielle Schader at dschader@nwacc.edu.

Testing Center Seeks to Fill Work-Study Position

The Testing Center is looking for an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position.

Please see the position posted on the NWACC Financial Aid Work-Study web page https://www.nwacc.edu/web/lss_fa/work_study_opportunities.

Math Department Work-Study Position Available

The Math Department is accepting applications for a work-study position.

All applicants must have a FAFSA on file and have remaining student aid eligibility.

The salary is $9 per hour and the maximum number of hours that can be worked is 15 per week. For more information, open the attached document (Math Work Study Position) or contact Tess O’Brien at tobrien@nwacc.edu.

Dean of Students/Student Life Work-Study Position Available

The Dean of Students/Student Life Office is looking for an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position.

To apply or for more information, contact Becky Hudson at rhudson1@nwacc.edu

Student Information Center Work-Study Position Available

The Student Information Center is looking for an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position.

A related work-study flier is attached.

Counseling & Wellness Center Work-Study Position Available

The Counseling & Wellness Center is looking for an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position. Please see the position posted on the NWACC Financial Aid Work-Study web page https://www.nwacc.edu/web/lss_fa/work_study_opportunities.

Washington County Work-Study Positions

We have three work study positions open in Washington County.

If you know an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position at the Washington County Center (WCC) in Springdale, please refer the student to Washington County positions posted on the NWACC Financial Aid work-study web page https://www.nwacc.edu/web/lss_fa/work_study_opportunities or in the College Central Network job postings for NWACC https://www.collegecentral.com/nwacc/, see Job ID 5521365, Job ID 5521384, Job ID 5529016).

HEALTH PROFESSIONS

Nursing Information Sessions Requirement

The NWACC Nursing program will be requiring all applicants to have attended a Pre-Nursing Information Session within one year prior to applying to the program beginning with the Track I application taken spring 2019 for fall 2019 admittance.

Students who have not attended a session within the designated time will not be eligible for the Nursing program. Students must have on record that they have attended a session by the deadline of the application period they are applying to.

The current schedule for the summer/fall 2018 information sessions can be found at: https://www.nwacc.edu/web/programs_nursing/ please see the attached summer/fall 2018 schedule for dates and times. For further questions please email HPadvisor@nwacc.edu

A related information session flier is attached.

SERVICES

Did You Know? Personal Counseling Is Free to Students

NWACC offers personal and career counseling to students through our new Counseling & Wellness Center.

Counseling is free for students and available on the main campus Monday-Friday. To schedule an appointment, contact counseling@nwacc.edu, (479) 619-4128 or visit us on the 2nd Floor of the Becky Paneitz Student Center.

Mental Health Screening

Mental health is a key part of your overall health. Brief screenings are the quickest way to determine if you or someone you care about should connect with a mental health professional – it’s a checkup from your neck up. To take a screening, OPEN THIS LINK or go to NWACC/Campus and Community Resources. Screenings do not provide a diagnosis of any medical condition. The information provided by the screenings do not substitute for a full evaluation by a health professional.

NWACC IN THE NEWS 

Northwest Arkansas Democratic-Gazette: Community college trustees visit, talk residence halls

Northwest Arkansas Democratic-Gazette: Scholarship fund celebrates successes