August 31, 2018

Quick Links:

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

NWACC Fall Career Fair (NEW)

The Fall Career Fair will take place Wednesday, September 5th from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in Student Center room 108. Attendees are encouraged to dress in professional attire and bring their resumés. Student Records will be there to assist with graduation applications.

For a list of employers expected to attend, click here.

Contact Erin Hollingsworth for more info: ehollingsworth@nwacc.edu

Washington County Center Welcome Back (NEW)

The NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association will be welcoming students to campus at the Washington County Center on September 4th and 5th from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. each day. Come out and get some giveaways and free snacks.

Pizza with the President at Washington County Center (NEW)

Come out and chat with NWACC President, Dr. Evelyn Jorgenson, and enjoy free pizza and soda. Dr. Jorgenson will be meeting students at Washington County Center on September 5th, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Student Center of the WCC.

Study Abroad Applications Open (NEW)

NWACC Study Abroad has trips to Germany, Greece, and Italy for Summer 2019. All NWACC students and community members may apply. Applications close on February 15th, 2019. Any questions may be directed to StudyAbroad@nwacc.edu.

Labor Day Weekend Closures

NWACC will be closed Monday, September 3rd for Labor Day.

The Library will be closed for the entirety of Labor Day Weekend, September 1st through 3rd.

The Testing Center will also be closed Labor Day Weekend, September 1st through 3rd.

PostSecretU

PostSecretU is a collection of secrets, stories, and anything you want to anonymously (or secretly) share. Express a secret you’ve never shared with anyone in a creative way on a postcard. Submit postcards between August 27 and September 13 in the teal blue boxes around campus. Additional details are on this flyer.

Fall Book Club

Book Club is back! Please see nwaccbookclub.blogspot.com for details. To borrow a copy of the book, contact Sabrina Chesne: schesne@sbcglobal.net, (479) 966-7736

Books may also be checked out from the library.

MSSU Disney World Internship Opportunity

Representatives from the MSSU Walt Disney World Internship Program will be in the Burns Hall Commons Hallway September 13th from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. to recruit and share information about opportunities with the program. For more information, please contact: Miller-R@mssu.edu.

Math Center Workshops

The Math Center will be holding several workshops in upcoming weeks. Details are as follows:

Graphing Calculator Intro  an Introduction (models TI-84/83/82)

Wednesday, September 5, 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. in SC 314

Graphing Lines (by Hand) and Writing Equations of Lines

Tuesday, September 4, 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in SC 338

Wednesday, September 12, 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. in SC 314

Contact Carol B. Olson for more info: colson@nwacc.edu, 479-986-6906

First NWACC Grad to Receive National Bookkeeper Certification Certificate

043A4741 copy

The NWACC Business Department Chair Kelley Rose and Accounting Program Coordinator and Professor Sheila Smith presented the first National Bookkeeper Certification certificate to NWACC graduate Tracy L. Meeks today in an informal ceremony at the Shewmaker Center for Global Business Development. Meeks is the first student to complete the newly revamped Associate of Applied Science in Business Management – Accounting Technology degree. As part of the degree program, students complete 45 credit hours of business courses and 15 hours of general education courses, with at least 15 credit hours in accounting. At the end of the program, students have the option of taking the Certified Bookkeeper examination through the National Bookkeepers’ Association. Tracy was the first student to complete the new program requirements and take the exam, passing it with flying colors! Tracy completed the requirements to earn the Associate of Applied Science in Business Management in General Business and Accounting Technology in May of this year.

One Stop Shop 2.0: Enrollment Support and Academic Advising Merge

Beverly Grau has been named Director of Enrollment Services! For the past 18 months, the Enrollment Support Center and Academic Advising Center have operated in support of one another and student enrollment. After a thorough review of student needs, these two dynamic teams decided to merge to provide a more holistic enrollment experience. Enrollment Services will manage the complete enrollment process for a student including entry level academic advising, financial aid counseling and support, and admissions/application support. Said more succinctly, they will be upgrading to “One Stop Shop 2.0!” Staff will receive extensive cross training to serve students through this holistic approach. For questions, feel free to reach out to Justin White, Executive Director of Enrollment Management: jwhite35@nwacc.edu, (479) 619-4123

NWACC Food Pantry Distribution Dates

NWACC’s Food Pantry provides help to NWACC students, faculty and staff throughout the year. Food will be distributed on every other Wednesday and Thursday, beginning August 29, 2018. A three-day supply of food is given. Applications for assistance can be picked up at the Student Information Center in the Becky Paneitz Student Center or at the Office of Student Life in room 225 H in the Becky Paneitz Student Center. All persons requesting assistance must have an initial application on file. They will then be required to complete a distribution request form each time they request assistance. Distribution Request forms must be turned in at the Office of Student Life or the Student Information Center no later than 3:30 pm on the Monday before distribution. Please consult this attachment for distribution dates and guidelines. In emergency cases, food may be distributed outside of normal distribution times. Please contact Becky Hudson, Director of Student Life at rhudson1@nwacc.edu or 479-986-6682 for more information about the Pantry.

Math Center Schedule

The Math Center schedule for fall 2018 is as follows:

Monday: 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. and 3 – 7:45 p.m.

Tuesday: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. – 7:45 p.m.

Thursday: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Friday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.

Saturday 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.

Please consult this schedule for a complete listing of the Math Center tutors and what courses they cover.

Transfer Visits

The transfer visit schedule for Fall 2018 is now available at this link: Transfer Visits

Representatives from the University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) will also be on hand to meet and greet students, staff, and faculty on Tuesday, August 28 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Bogle Plaza. For a fun photo op, they are bringing the Razorbug, so be sure to have your cameras ready. Consult the attached flyer: UA Welcome Back

To discuss available ONLINE transfer opportunities, Arkansas Tech University will be on campus to meet with students throughout the semester. Dates can be found on this flyer.

Harvesting Opportunity, The Power of Regional Food System Investments to Transform Communities

This event, hosted by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis and Brightwater will explore how communities use regional food strategies to advance their economic goals, including models for collaboration between policymakers, practitioners and the financial community. Participants will discuss research, policy and resource gaps that might contribute to the advancement and success of regional food system strategies. Regional and national experts will speak including John Fisk, Director, Wallace Center, Winrock International and Rashid Nuri, Founder and CEO, Truly Living Well. Registration is free and lunch will be served. This event will be held September 11, 2018 from 7:30 a.m to 3:00 p.m. at Brightwater. Please register in advance at http://www.cvent.com/d/pgqr5b/4W.

Money in American Politics: Film Screening and Facilitated Discussion (NEW)

Join us for a screening of the 2018 documentary Charlie vs. Goliath and a facilitated discussion on money in American politics on Thursday, October 11 at 6:00 p.m. in Peterson Auditorium. This event is sponsored by the NWACC Library, the NWACC Honors Program, the NWACC Department of Social Sciences, the NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association, and the Omni Center.

The Once and Future Dream: A Roundtable on Free Speech

Please join us for a First Amendment roundtable discussion at NWACC on Sept. 18 at 12 noon in Walmart Auditorium in observance of Constitution Day. The roundtable will address the following questions:

• What is free speech: a negative liberty, a positive freedom, a prudent discernment, or a petty farce enacted cruelly on a docile public? Is there a gap between the promise and reality of free speech? How is free speech enabled by: constitutional law, state laws, federal laws, political ideology, religiosity, charity and literacy of citizens, and secularism?
  • How is free speech balanced against equality, national security, privacy, and public safety?
  • How should free speech confront public safety, hecklers, anti-platformism, doxing, hate speech, civility, and professionalism?
  • How does the First Amendment protect expression in schools, colleges, public places, workplaces, electoral politics, and public deliberations?
  • Does the liberty of free speech favor some identities and points of view over others? What do the civil rights movements, and other social movements, teach us about the limits and possibilities of free speech?

The roundtable will be moderated by Dr. Matt Evans, Professor of Political Science at NorthWest Arkansas Community College, and include the following people:

• Renato Betim: NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association president, and Senior Reporter for Eagle View NWACC student newspaper
  • Raven Cook: museum educator, and founder of Foundations: Black History Educational Programming
  • V. Jo Hsu: Assistant Professor of English at the University of Arkansas
  • Jerry Rose: Professor and Coordinator of Criminal Justice at NWACC, and former Fayetteville prosecutor
  • Stephen Smith: independent scholar at Oxbridge Research Associates, and retired Professor of Communication at the University of Arkansas

This event is sponsored by the NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association, the NWACC Department of Social Sciences, the NWACC Honors Program, and the Omni Center.

NWACC Food Pantry in Need of Donations

Thanks to all the wonderful NWACC employees, students, and supporters, the NWACC Food Pantry has been operated solely on a donation basis.

In the 2.5 years we have been open we have never had to purchase food and have served more than 500 students, employees, and their families. We are once again looking to our NWACC family for donations. The pantry currently needs the following items:

• Canned fruit
  • Gluten-free items
  • Meals in a can such as Chef Boyardee ravioli and beef-a-roni
  • Canned meat such as Spam, chicken, and tuna
  • Individual serving size snacks such as pretzels, snack cakes, chips, etc.

We also have some dietary needs that require rice products.

We have also recently started stocking personal hygiene items such as shampoo and are in need of shampoo, conditioner, and men’s deodorant.

Donations may be taken to the Student Information Center in the Becky Paneitz Student Center or to Becky Hudson in SC 225 H. Monetary donations are also accepted. For more information contact Becky Hudson at rhudson1@nwacc.edu

WORK-STUDY OPPORTUNITIES

Tutoring

A tutor position is available. Students must be Financial Aid eligible to apply. Up to 19 hours per week at $10/hour.

Open attached flier for details.

For more information or to submit your resume, contact Danielle Schader at dschader@nwacc.edu.

Testing Center

The Testing Center is looking for an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position.

Please see the position posted on the NWACC Financial Aid Work-Study web page https://www.nwacc.edu/web/lss_fa/work_study_opportunities.

Math Department

The Math Department is accepting applications for a work-study position.

All applicants must have a FAFSA on file and have remaining student aid eligibility.

The salary is $9 per hour and the maximum number of hours that can be worked is 15 per week. For more information, open the attached document (Math Work Study Position) or contact Tess O’Brien at tobrien@nwacc.edu.

Dean of Students/Student Life

The Dean of Students/Student Life Office is looking for an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position.

To apply or for more information, contact Becky Hudson at rhudson1@nwacc.edu

Student Information Center

The Student Information Center is looking for an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position.

A related work-study flier is attached.

Counseling & Wellness Center

The Counseling & Wellness Center is looking for an NWACC student who is eligible for financial aid and interested in a work-study position. Please see the position posted on the NWACC Financial Aid Work-Study web page https://www.nwacc.edu/web/lss_fa/work_study_opportunities.

HEALTH PROFESSIONS

Nursing Information Sessions Requirement

The NWACC Nursing program will be requiring all applicants to have attended a Pre-Nursing Information Session within one year prior to applying to the program beginning with the Track I application taken spring 2019 for fall 2019 admittance.

Students who have not attended a session within the designated time will not be eligible for the Nursing program. Students must have on record that they have attended a session by the deadline of the application period they are applying to.

The current schedule for the summer/fall 2018 information sessions can be found at: https://www.nwacc.edu/web/programs_nursing/ please consult the attached summer/fall 2018 schedule for dates and times. For further questions please email HPadvisor@nwacc.edu

A related information session flier is attached.

SERVICES

Did You Know? Personal Counseling Is Free to Students

NWACC offers personal and career counseling to students through our new Counseling & Wellness Center.

Counseling is free for students and available on the main campus Monday-Friday. To schedule an appointment, contact counseling@nwacc.edu, (479) 619-4128 or visit us on the 2nd Floor of the Becky Paneitz Student Center.

Mental Health Screening

Mental health is a key part of your overall health. Brief screenings are the quickest way to determine if you or someone you care about should connect with a mental health professional – it’s a checkup from your neck up. To take a screening, OPEN THIS LINK or go to NWACC/Campus and Community Resources. Screenings do not provide a diagnosis of any medical condition. The information provided by the screenings do not substitute for a full evaluation by a health professional.