September 7, 2018

Quick Links:

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

Staff Council Nominations (NEW)

Voting for Staff Council Officers has started and is open through September 14th. Staff members, please check your email for a link to vote. If you did not receive the link, please email Michelle Bachelor at mbachelor@nwacc.edu.

SAGA Presents: VOTE 2018 — Meet the Candidates (NEW)

The NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association (SAGA) has been working with all Benton and Washington County state representative candidates to bring them on campus for information sessions. SAGA wants to be sure everyone knows the importance of informed voting, so they are asking candidates to spend an hour talking with students and employees. Each candidate will host a one-hour forum in which they will talk about themselves and their platforms and take questions from the audience.

The following candidates are confirmed and will be in SC 108 A. (Keep an eye on the announcements as more candidates are added.)

• Rep. Jim Dotson (R) District 93 September 12th at 9:00 a.m.
  • Gayla Hendren McKenzie (R) District 92 September 14th at noon
  • Rep. Jana Della Rosa (R) District 90 September 19th at 10:00 am
  • Celeste Williams (D) District 95 September 20th at noon
  • Christie Craig (D) District 96  September 24th at 10:00 am
  • Kelly Scott Unger (D) District 87 September 24th at noon
  • Jen Huffman Gilreath (D) District 94 September 25th at 9:30 am
  • Rep. Charlie Collins (R) District 84 October 4th at 3:00 pm

SAGA reached out to state representatives only. SAGA will be attending the General Assembly in January and wanted to make these connections prior to that. SAGA has reached out to all candidates for those offices in Benton and Washington Counties. Many have responded but are checking calendars to set dates. SAGA members did not reach out to candidates running for other offices. Announcements will be updated as other candidates are scheduled.

Community Resource Fair (NEW)

NWACC will be hosting a Community Resource Fair on Thursday, September 27 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Student Center Lobby, on Bogle Plaza, and in the Burns Hall Walkway. Attendees will be able to connect with over 20 local organizations and businesses that provide assistance with health and wellness, nutrition assistance, preventative care, housing, education, financial services and more.

Here is a tentative list of participating vendors:

• American Legion Auxiliary – Bentonville
  • AR Care
  • Arkansas Crisis Center
  • Arkansas Department of Health
  • Arkansas Rehabilitation Services
  • Big Brothers Big Sisters
  • Care Community Center
  • Child Care Aware of Northwest Arkansas
  • Community Clinic
  • Cultivating Clarity LLC
  • Dress for Success NWA
  • Havenwood
  • Helping Hands, Inc.
  • Hispanic Women’s Organization of Arkansas
  • Integrated Medical
  • Legal Aid of Arkansas – Springdale
  • NWA Center for Sexual Assault
  • NWA Tobacco and Drug Free Coalition (NWATFC)
  • NWA Women’s Shelter
  • NWA Workers’ Justice Center
  • Ozark Guidance
  • Single Parent Scholarship Fund of Benton County
  • The Cancer Challenge

Other vendors may be added up to the week prior to the event.

iGive Leadership Volunteers Needed (NEW)

We are recruiting iGive Leadership Committee Members who are passionate about giving back to our college and students. Expectations of Committee Members are:

• Attend committee meetings
  • Assist with planning the iGive Campaign & on-campus events
  • Recruit volunteers for events

To join or find out more, please contact Lauren Cardwell at lcardwell@nwacc.edu or call (479) 619-4321.

22nd Annual NWACC Blood Drive (NEW)

Community Blood Center of the Ozarks will be in Student Center Rooms 108A and 108B Thursday, October 11th, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Sign up on the registration board outside the office of 1418 in Burns Hall. Remember to eat well and drink plenty of fluids prior to giving blood. Please bring a photo ID as well. Each donor will receive a free T-shirt.

The Blood Drive is sponsored by the NWACC Health, Physical Education, Fitness Center and Sports Club Department.

ASNA Diaper War (NEW)

Diaper Drive

The Arkansas Student Nurses Association is having a Diaper Drive to benefit Arkansas Children’s Hospital. Please help NWACC win the Diaper War! U of A is in our district. Let’s see if we can’t beat their contributions!

Donation boxes are located in each classroom of the Center for Health Professions. Donations will be collected Friday, September 7th at 2:00 p.m. and brought to Little Rock for the State Council Meeting. Diapers of all sizes are needed! Please contact Whitney Hughes if you have any questions: mhughes5@nwacc.edu

Out of the Darkness Community Walk (NEW)

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is the leader in the fight against suicide. AFSP has set a goal to reduce the annual suicide rate 20 percent by 2025. The Out of the Darkness Walks are proof that when people work together, they can make big changes in the world. As AFSP’s largest fundraiser, they produce millions for suicide prevention programs, unite those who have been affected by suicide, and create communities that are smart about mental health. Join a quarter of a million people from hundreds of cities across all 50 states to raise awareness and funds that will save lives and bring hope to those affected by suicide.

The NWA walk will take place at Orchards Park in Bentonville on September 9th from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Registration begins at 1:00 p.m. For more information and to pre-register, visit afsp.org/bentonville.

Study Abroad Applications Open

NWACC Study Abroad has trips to Germany, Greece, and Italy for Summer 2019. All NWACC students and community members may apply. Applications close on February 15th, 2019. Any questions may be directed to StudyAbroad@nwacc.edu.

PostSecretU

PostSecretU is a collection of secrets, stories, and anything you want to anonymously (or secretly) share. Express a secret you’ve never shared with anyone in a creative way on a postcard. Submit postcards between now and September 13 in the teal blue boxes around campus. Additional details are on this flyer.

Fall Book Club

Book Club is back! Please see nwaccbookclub.blogspot.com for details. To borrow a copy of the book, contact Sabrina Chesne: schesne@sbcglobal.net, (479) 966-7736

Books may also be checked out from the library.

MSSU Disney World Internship Opportunity

Representatives from the MSSU Walt Disney World Internship Program will be in the Burns Hall Commons Hallway September 13th from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. to recruit and share information about opportunities with the program. For more information, please contact: Miller-R@mssu.edu.

Math Center Workshop

The Math Center is holding a workshop called Graphing Lines (by Hand) and Writing Equations of Lines. The workshop will take place on Wednesday, September 12, 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. in Student Center Room 314. For more information, contact Carol B. Olson at colson@nwacc.edu or 479-986-6906.

NWACC Food Pantry Distribution Dates

NWACC’s Food Pantry provides help to NWACC students, faculty and staff throughout the year. Food will be distributed every other Wednesday and Thursday. A three-day supply of food is given. Applications for assistance can be picked up at the Student Information Center in the Becky Paneitz Student Center or at the Office of Student Life in room 225 H in the Becky Paneitz Student Center. All persons requesting assistance must have an initial application on file. They will then be required to complete a distribution request form each time they request assistance. Distribution Request forms must be turned in at the Office of Student Life or the Student Information Center no later than 3:30 pm on the Monday before distribution. Please consult this attachment for distribution dates and guidelines. In emergency cases, food may be distributed outside of normal distribution times. Please contact Becky Hudson, Director of Student Life at rhudson1@nwacc.edu or 479-986-6682 for more information about the Pantry.

Harvesting Opportunity, The Power of Regional Food System Investments to Transform Communities

This event, hosted by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis and Brightwater, will explore how communities use regional food strategies to advance their economic goals, including models for collaboration between policymakers, practitioners and the financial community. Participants will discuss research, policy and resource gaps that might contribute to the advancement and success of regional food system strategies. Regional and national experts will speak including John Fisk, Director, Wallace Center, Winrock International and Rashid Nuri, Founder and CEO, Truly Living Well. Registration is free and lunch will be served. This event will be held September 11, 2018 from 7:30 a.m to 3:00 p.m. at Brightwater. Please register in advance at http://www.cvent.com/d/pgqr5b/4W.

Money in American Politics: Film Screening and Facilitated Discussion (NEW)

Join us for a screening of the 2018 documentary Charlie vs. Goliath and a facilitated discussion on money in American politics on Thursday, October 11 at 6:00 p.m. in Peterson Auditorium. This event is sponsored by the NWACC Library, the NWACC Honors Program, the NWACC Department of Social Sciences, the NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association, and the Omni Center.

The Once and Future Dream: A Roundtable on Free Speech

Please join us for a First Amendment roundtable discussion at NWACC on September 18 at 12 noon in Walmart Auditorium in observance of Constitution Day. The roundtable will address the following questions:

• What is free speech: a negative liberty, a positive freedom, a prudent discernment, or a petty farce enacted cruelly on a docile public? Is there a gap between the promise and reality of free speech? How is free speech enabled by: constitutional law, state laws, federal laws, political ideology, religiosity, charity and literacy of citizens, and secularism?
  • How is free speech balanced against equality, national security, privacy, and public safety?
  • How should free speech confront public safety, hecklers, anti-platformism, doxing, hate speech, civility, and professionalism?
  • How does the First Amendment protect expression in schools, colleges, public places, workplaces, electoral politics, and public deliberations?
  • Does the liberty of free speech favor some identities and points of view over others? What do the civil rights movements, and other social movements, teach us about the limits and possibilities of free speech?

The roundtable will be moderated by Dr. Matt Evans, Professor of Political Science at NorthWest Arkansas Community College, and include the following people:

• Renato Betim: NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association president, and Senior Reporter for Eagle View NWACC student newspaper
  • Raven Cook: museum educator, and founder of Foundations: Black History Educational Programming
  • V. Jo Hsu: Assistant Professor of English at the University of Arkansas
  • Jerry Rose: Professor and Coordinator of Criminal Justice at NWACC, and former Fayetteville prosecutor
  • Stephen Smith: independent scholar at Oxbridge Research Associates, and retired Professor of Communication at the University of Arkansas

This event is sponsored by the NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association, the NWACC Department of Social Sciences, the NWACC Honors Program, and the Omni Center.

NWACC Food Pantry in Need of Donations

Thanks to all the wonderful NWACC employees, students, and supporters, the NWACC Food Pantry has been operated solely on a donation basis.

In the 2.5 years we have been open we have never had to purchase food and have served more than 500 students, employees, and their families. We are once again looking to our NWACC family for donations. The pantry currently needs the following items:

• Canned fruit
  • Gluten-free items
  • Meals in a can such as Chef Boyardee ravioli and beef-a-roni
  • Canned meat such as Spam, chicken, and tuna
  • Individual serving size snacks such as pretzels, snack cakes, chips, etc.

We also have some dietary needs that require rice products.

We have also recently started stocking personal hygiene items such as shampoo and are in need of shampoo, conditioner, and men’s deodorant.

Donations may be taken to the Student Information Center in the Becky Paneitz Student Center or to Becky Hudson in SC 225 H. Monetary donations are also accepted. For more information contact Becky Hudson at rhudson1@nwacc.edu

HEALTH PROFESSIONS

Nursing Information Sessions Requirement

The NWACC Nursing program will be requiring all applicants to have attended a Pre-Nursing Information Session within one year prior to applying to the program beginning with the Track I application taken spring 2019 for fall 2019 admittance.

Students who have not attended a session within the designated time will not be eligible for the Nursing program. Students must have on record that they have attended a session by the deadline of the application period they are applying to.

The current schedule for the summer/fall 2018 information sessions can be found at: https://www.nwacc.edu/web/programs_nursing/ please consult the attached summer/fall 2018 schedule for dates and times. For further questions please email HPadvisor@nwacc.edu

A related information session flier is attached.

SERVICES

Did You Know? Personal Counseling Is Free to Students

NWACC offers personal and career counseling to students through our new Counseling & Wellness Center.

Counseling is free for students and available on the main campus Monday-Friday. To schedule an appointment, contact counseling@nwacc.edu, (479) 619-4128 or visit us on the 2nd Floor of the Becky Paneitz Student Center.

Mental Health Screening

Mental health is a key part of your overall health. Brief screenings are the quickest way to determine if you or someone you care about should connect with a mental health professional – it’s a checkup from your neck up. To take a screening, OPEN THIS LINK or go to NWACC/Campus and Community Resources. Screenings do not provide a diagnosis of any medical condition. The information provided by the screenings do not substitute for a full evaluation by a health professional.

NWACC in the NEWS:

Fall 2018 Enrollment Increase

NWACC Hosts Career Fair

NWACC Points to Large Enrollment Growth as Justification for Expansion Efforts

HELPFUL LINKS:

Transfer Visits

Math Center Schedule