September 13, 2018

Quick Links:

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS

NWACC SNA Wins Diaper Drive (NEW)

Good news everyone! During the diaper drive last week, NWACC SNA collected over 7000 diapers!!! This catapulted NWACC to the #1 spot for District 2, defeating U of A!
Thank you to everyone who collected and donated to this cause. This is why we are in health care: to help out those in need. Many children will benefit from your contributions!

We Can Box it for NWACC Food Pantry (NEW)

Since its beginning in August 2015, the NWACC Food Pantry has served almost 1000 students, employees, and their family members. Our pantry survives solely on donations. It is thanks to all of you that we are able to do this.

It is that time of year again: We Can Box It. This event is our largest food drive and supports the pantry for a good portion of the year. This isn’t a typical food drive though. We ask your club/division/department/office/group, etc. to form a team and create a sculpture made of non-perishable food products. This can be cans, boxes, bottles, etc. There is a plaque and a traveling trophy for the winning team. The competition this year will begin October 2nd and will have final judging on October 3rd. Get your team together and start collecting food items! We hope you will all join us in supporting this great cause. More information will be coming. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out to Becky Hudson at rhudson1@nwacc.edu with any questions.

KCAI Is Coming to NWACC! (NEW)

Representatives from the Kansas City Art Institute will be at NWACC this Friday, September 14th at 11:00 a.m. in BH 1116. Students will learn about the BFA Program (including the new Product Design major), the admissions process, portfolio tips, see current work by KCAI students and discover what a career in the creative industries looks like.

SAGA Presents: VOTE 2018 — Meet the Candidates

The NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association (SAGA) has been working with all Benton and Washington County state representative candidates to bring them on campus for information sessions. SAGA wants to be sure everyone knows the importance of informed voting, so they are asking candidates to spend an hour talking with students and employees. Each candidate will host a one-hour forum in which they will talk about themselves and their platforms and take questions from the audience.

The following candidates are confirmed and will be in SC 108 A. The candidates in bold are new to the schedule. (Keep an eye on the announcements as more candidates are added.)

• Gayla Hendren McKenzie (R) District 92 September 14th at noon
  • Jon Comstock (D) District 3 September 17th at noon
  • Rep. Jana Della Rosa (R) District 90 September 19th at 10:00 am
  • Celeste Williams (D) District 95 September 20th at noon
  • Christie Craig (D) District 96  September 24th at 10:00 am
  • Kelly Scott Unger (D) District 87 September 24th at noon
  • Jené Huffman Gilreath (D) District 94 September 25th at 9:30 am
  • Gayatri Jane Agnew (D) District 93 September 25th at 12:00 p.m.
  • Rep. Robin Lundstrom (R) District 87 September 26th at 11:00 a.m.
  • Denise Garner (D) District 84 October 1st at 12:00 p.m.
  • Megan Godfrey (D) District 89 October 4th at 12:00 p.m.
  • Rep. Charlie Collins (R) District 84 October 4th at 3:00 pm

SAGA reached out to state representatives only. SAGA will be attending the General Assembly in January and wanted to make these connections prior to that. SAGA has reached out to all candidates for those offices in Benton and Washington Counties. Many have responded but are checking calendars to set dates. SAGA members did not reach out to candidates running for other offices. Announcements will be updated as other candidates are scheduled.

Staff Council Nominations

Voting for Staff Council Officers has started and is open through September 14th. Staff members, please check your email for a link to vote. If you did not receive the link, please email Michelle Bachelor at mbachelor@nwacc.edu.

Community Resource Fair

NWACC will be hosting a Community Resource Fair on Thursday, September 27 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Student Center Lobby, on Bogle Plaza, and in the Burns Hall Walkway. Attendees will be able to connect with over 20 local organizations and businesses that provide assistance with health and wellness, nutrition assistance, preventative care, housing, education, financial services and more.

Here is a tentative list of participating vendors:

• American Legion Auxiliary – Bentonville
  • AR Care
  • Arkansas Crisis Center
  • Arkansas Department of Health
  • Arkansas Rehabilitation Services
  • Big Brothers Big Sisters
  • Care Community Center
  • Child Care Aware of Northwest Arkansas
  • Community Clinic
  • Cultivating Clarity LLC
  • Dress for Success NWA
  • Havenwood
  • Helping Hands, Inc.
  • Hispanic Women’s Organization of Arkansas
  • Integrated Medical
  • Legal Aid of Arkansas – Springdale
  • NWA Center for Sexual Assault
  • NWA Tobacco and Drug Free Coalition (NWATFC)
  • NWA Women’s Shelter
  • NWA Workers’ Justice Center
  • Ozark Guidance
  • Single Parent Scholarship Fund of Benton County
  • The Cancer Challenge

Other vendors may be added up to the week prior to the event.

iGive Leadership Volunteers Needed

We are recruiting iGive Leadership Committee Members who are passionate about giving back to our college and students. Expectations of Committee Members are:

• Attend committee meetings
  • Assist with planning the iGive Campaign & on-campus events
  • Recruit volunteers for events

To join or find out more, please contact Lauren Cardwell at lcardwell@nwacc.edu or call (479) 619-4321.

22nd Annual NWACC Blood Drive

Community Blood Center of the Ozarks will be in Student Center Rooms 108A and 108B Thursday, October 11th, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Sign up on the registration board outside the office of 1418 in Burns Hall. Remember to eat well and drink plenty of fluids prior to giving blood. Please bring a photo ID as well. Each donor will receive a free T-shirt.

The Blood Drive is sponsored by the NWACC Health, Physical Education, Fitness Center and Sports Club Department.

Study Abroad Applications Open

NWACC Study Abroad has trips to Germany, Greece, and Italy for Summer 2019. All NWACC students and community members may apply. Applications close on February 15th, 2019. Any questions may be directed to StudyAbroad@nwacc.edu.

PostSecretU

PostSecretU is a collection of secrets, stories, and anything you want to anonymously (or secretly) share. Express a secret you’ve never shared with anyone in a creative way on a postcard. Submit postcards between now and September 13 in the teal blue boxes around campus. Additional details are on this flyer.

MSSU Disney World Internship Opportunity

Representatives from the MSSU Walt Disney World Internship Program will be in the Burns Hall Commons Hallway September 13th from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. to recruit and share information about opportunities with the program. For more information, please contact: Miller-R@mssu.edu.

Money in American Politics: Film Screening and Facilitated Discussion

Join us for a screening of the 2018 documentary Charlie vs. Goliath and a facilitated discussion on money in American politics on Thursday, October 11 at 6:00 p.m. in Peterson Auditorium. This event is sponsored by the NWACC Library, the NWACC Honors Program, the NWACC Department of Social Sciences, the NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association, and the Omni Center.

The Once and Future Dream: A Roundtable on Free Speech

Please join us for a First Amendment roundtable discussion at NWACC on September 18 at 12 noon in Walmart Auditorium in observance of Constitution Day. The roundtable will address the following questions:

• What is free speech: a negative liberty, a positive freedom, a prudent discernment, or a petty farce enacted cruelly on a docile public? Is there a gap between the promise and reality of free speech? How is free speech enabled by: constitutional law, state laws, federal laws, political ideology, religiosity, charity and literacy of citizens, and secularism?
  • How is free speech balanced against equality, national security, privacy, and public safety?
  • How should free speech confront public safety, hecklers, anti-platformism, doxing, hate speech, civility, and professionalism?
  • How does the First Amendment protect expression in schools, colleges, public places, workplaces, electoral politics, and public deliberations?
  • Does the liberty of free speech favor some identities and points of view over others? What do the civil rights movements, and other social movements, teach us about the limits and possibilities of free speech?

The roundtable will be moderated by Dr. Matt Evans, Professor of Political Science at NorthWest Arkansas Community College, and include the following people:

• Renato Betim: NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association president, and Senior Reporter for Eagle View NWACC student newspaper
  • Raven Cook: museum educator, and founder of Foundations: Black History Educational Programming
  • V. Jo Hsu: Assistant Professor of English at the University of Arkansas
  • Jerry Rose: Professor and Coordinator of Criminal Justice at NWACC, and former Fayetteville prosecutor
  • Stephen Smith: independent scholar at Oxbridge Research Associates, and retired Professor of Communication at the University of Arkansas

This event is sponsored by the NWACC Student Ambassador and Government Association, the NWACC Department of Social Sciences, the NWACC Honors Program, and the Omni Center.

HEALTH PROFESSIONS

Nursing Information Sessions Requirement

The NWACC Nursing program will be requiring all applicants to have attended a Pre-Nursing Information Session within one year prior to applying to the program beginning with the Track I application taken spring 2019 for fall 2019 admittance.

Students who have not attended a session within the designated time will not be eligible for the Nursing program. Students must have on record that they have attended a session by the deadline of the application period they are applying to.

The current schedule for the summer/fall 2018 information sessions can be found at: https://www.nwacc.edu/web/programs_nursing/ please consult the attached summer/fall 2018 schedule for dates and times. For further questions please email HPadvisor@nwacc.edu

A related information session flier is attached.

SERVICES

Did You Know? Personal Counseling Is Free to Students

NWACC offers personal and career counseling to students through our new Counseling & Wellness Center.

Counseling is free for students and available on the main campus Monday-Friday. To schedule an appointment, contact counseling@nwacc.edu, (479) 619-4128 or visit us on the 2nd Floor of the Becky Paneitz Student Center.

Mental Health Screening

Mental health is a key part of your overall health. Brief screenings are the quickest way to determine if you or someone you care about should connect with a mental health professional – it’s a checkup from your neck up. To take a screening, OPEN THIS LINK or go to NWACC/Campus and Community Resources. Screenings do not provide a diagnosis of any medical condition. The information provided by the screenings do not substitute for a full evaluation by a health professional.

NWACC in the NEWS:

Fall 2018 Enrollment Increase

NWACC Hosts Career Fair

NWACC Points to Large Enrollment Growth as Justification for Expansion Efforts

HELPFUL LINKS:

Transfer Visits

Math Center Schedule